MHSI is registered as a non-profit organisation with the following goals:
- - to make residents aware of the types of crime occurring in this suburb
- - to make residents aware of safety measures they can implement
- - to focus on preventative measures to fight crime
- - to drive special security related projects in the area
- - to support security providers operating in the area
- - to build a connected and caring community neighbourhood
The Muckleneuk Hill Security Initiative was officially started in March 2013 when a few residents got together to address the increasing crime problem in the area. This is an initiative driven by residents to improve safety in the suburb and is run on a purely voluntary basis.
Community driven security initiatives elsewhere have successfully proven to:
- - Make residents feel safer
- - Dramatically reduce crime incidences (some to zero)
- - Increase property values
The steering committee gained knowledge from other neighbourhoods which had successfully implemented schemes to combat crime and believe that a scheme like this in our neighbourhood could produce similar results. The success would depend on the amount of support from the residents.
MHSI board and Portfolios
|Robbert Cameron Ellis||Chair|
We are happy to be working with:
- The Sunnyside Police.
- The armed response companies: Fidelity ADT and Interactive Security.
- Muckleneuk Lukasrand Property Owners and Residents Association (MLPORA).
- The Groenkloof Safety Initiative.
- Groenkloof residents Association
- Parks board and Unisa